An update of the earlier title on the Borders narrated by Alma Cadzow.


This is the final title in the second series and is now available for the first time from the on-line shop as audio/video tracks.
These incorporate the existing audio which has been reformatted and remastered along with images of the area.

These videos are also now embedded within our FREE MOBILE APPLICATION - Discover Scotland.

Great estates with grand country houses seem to dominate the South of Scotland which are all worth a visit and each offer something different - such as the unique silver staircase at Manderston, the terraced gardens of Mellerstain, the art treasures of Paxton, Bowhill & Drumlanrig, to the largest inhabited castle at Floors and the oldest - Traquair and Thirlestane.
Even those not open to the public have country parks such as the Hirsel as well as wonderful gardens like Mertoun, Kailzie and Dawyck.
Not forgetting Abbotsford - the creation of Sir Walter Scott.
Ruined Abbeys such as Kelso, Jedburgh, Melrose and Dryburgh and castles such as Hume also tell of a glorious past.
This update is sponsored by all of them plus a number of Galleries, Craft & Gift Shops, Wine Merchants, Country Inns, Excellent Hotels, even a Lighthouse hotel!
As well as some first class Restaurants, a Cook School, B&Bs, Antique shops, Bookshops and Coffee shops, alongside Self Catering Farm Cottages as well as a Pod, Boathouse and a couple of properties which are only accessible by 4x4 down a cliff!
We also have enjoyed the support of many Museums, Garden Centres, Farm Shops, Breweries, Country Clothing, even a Donkey Santuary and a Salmon Viewing Centre. Plus 4X4 Driving, Knitwear, Tweed, Camping & Caravan sites as well as Golf Courses, Visitor Centres, Wildlife Reserves, Local Food Producers and three small Theaters, Bowhill, Catsrand and A'the Airts.
A full listing of all of these sponsors can be found below along with a link to each website and they are all also featured on the App.

Cockburnspath and Coldingham

Neuk Farm is a busy working farm situated about one and a half miles outside the small village of Cockburnspath, just off the A1.
The farm extends to approximately 723 acres and is owned and run by 2 brothers, Arnot and Steven Findlay. They operate a mixed farm growing mainly crops as well as sheep and cattle.
Located here are four holiday cottages, in front of the farm steading, looking out onto open countryside.
Each cottage has 2 upstairs bedrooms, 1 room with a king-sized bed and 1 room with twin beds, sleeping up to 4 people in total (bedding, towels, cots and high-chairs are provided at no extra cost). Downstairs is a shower room and toilet, open plan sitting room and dining area with Digital free-view television, DVD player and a selection of DVDs, CD player and radio with a selection of CDs, fully fitted modern kitchen with fridge, microwave oven, washing machine, gas hob and electric oven. All rooms have central heating, gas and electric provided at no extra cost. Wi-Fi is also available, free of charge.
There is block paving and a garden bench outside each cottage along with a large grass area and private parking.
This is an ideal base to explore area with a number of way-marked walks starting or ending here - The Sir Walter Scott Way A 92 mile cross-country walk from here to Moffat as well as the Berwickshire coastal path and the Southern Upland way starting at Portpatrick some 212 miles away and recently the John Muir Way which starts at Musselburgh on the fridges of Edinburgh.

www.neukfarmcottages.co.uk

Join the A1 heading south and take the next exit to Coldingham moor, this desolate open expanse which was once a great hazard to travelers.
The village of Coldingham grew around a priory founded by King Edgar in 1098, later occupied by Benedictines from Durham, it was plundered by King John of England in 1216, and fired again by the English in 1544 and further damage was inflicted later by Cromwell as he passed by.
St Cuthbert was a border saint, with a great affinity with animals. An eagle was said to have provided him with food for a journey and here he strode out into the sea up to his neck whilst doing penance, only to be dried by two otters as he emerged from the water.
The amazing sea views at Coldingham Bay are unlike any other in the Borders.

A very unusual accommodation option is to be found in the village at The Rambleshack. A self-contained B&B Pod that sleeps two.
Offering the intimacy of a B&B or the privacy of a holiday let.
It offers en-suite facilities as well as an outside shower, a fridge, WiFi, TV plus DVD, also a toaster and tea and coffee.
With the option of bring your own – you supply the sleeping bag and towels.
Or with linen, towels and toiletries supplied along with breakfast.

www.therambleshack.com

Coldingham Loch is a natural spring fed 22 acre loch which offers superb fly fishing and holiday accommodation in a stunning coastal location.
The loch is one of Scotland's oldest established fisheries and has a well earned reputation for providing top quality fly fishing for brown, blue and rainbow trout from bank or boat.
It also offers a range of self catering holiday accommodation for those who want stay and enjoy all that this beautiful part of the Borders has to offer.
Coldingham Loch Holiday Cottages offer stone cottages and wooden chalets - set within it’s own 60 acres which includes a unique loch-side Victorian Boathouse, that comes with its own boat moored underneath, accessed either by car along a track around the loch and by boat across the loch.

www.coldinghamloch.co.uk

Eyemouth

Eyemouth was made a free burgh with the status of free port by King James the 6th in 1597. This led to a growth in smuggling, with the many caves and caverns nearby and the very alleys and narrow streets of Eyemouth an aid to evading the customs men.
On Hare point are the remains of a fort twice built and twice destroyed in the 16th century. The Coastguards Watch house is built on the remains of one of the earthworks called Kings Mount.
The harbour was built in 1768 and was one the first designed by Smeaton. It has always sustained a fishing fleet, and during a terrible storm on the 14th October 1881 half the fleet was lost, some 24 boats and the lives of 129 men.
Linthills Mansion, a little out of town, was the scene of gruesome murder in 1751. The seat of the Humes, Mrs Patrick Hume a wealthy widow was killed by her butler, who cut her throat after being surprised rifling through her possessions. She somehow managed to raise the alarm, so he leapt from an upstairs window and broke his leg, this enabled him to be promptly caught and hanged. Mrs Hume is buried in the old church of Bunkie.

The World of Boats is a collection of nigh on 400 boats and 300 plus models with supporting archive from across the world and spanning many centuries. At its core is the former Exeter Maritime Museum collection of Ethnic, European coastal, Day Sailing and other interesting craft of historic significance.
At its new home in Eyemouth the collection will be progressively restored and conserved as an asset of global significance.
Many of the craft are unique and are the last known examples of their kind anywhere in the world. Put together over a period of 50 years they represent the story of mankind and his need to cross water for reasons of trade, fishing, emigration, escape, war and last but by no means least, pleasure.

www.worldofboats.org

Built in 1753 by local smuggler John Nisbet, and of John Adam design, the architecture of Gunsgreen House includes secret hiding places where smuggled goods were kept. Visit Gunsgreen and see the amazing ‘tea chute’- the only of its kind, where smuggled tea was hidden from prying eyes. Kids love Gunsgreen, dressing as smugglers they can complete the smuggling and rat trails, becoming a certified smuggler.
For those who just can’t stay away, Gunsgreen House provides stunning self catering accommodation in the form of ‘The Merchant’s House’ sleeping 11, and ‘Nisbet’s Tower’ sleeping 2. Stay right here on the harbour-side in Eyemouth.

www.gunsgreenhouse.org

Coldstream

Coldstream is the birthplace of the Coldstream Guards the oldest British Regiment, founded in 1670, but formed some ten years earlier by General Monck, who marched to London from here to help restore the Stuart throne.

A unique concept for the Scottish Borders - where photography meets painting and nature meets home - the White Fox Gallery, located by the Hirsel Lake, showcases and sells stunningly evocative landscape fine art photographic prints from renowned photographer, Stephen Whitehorne.
These are beautifully complimented by his partner’s, Virginie Renard, own paintings, prints and distinctive art painted furniture.
The gallery also offers small unique gifts and cards.
The White Fox Gallery forms part of the Arts and Craft Centre which occupies the converted old stables and service yard for the Hirsel Estate. The centre also has a museum, a number of craft workshops, a tearoom and children play park.
The Hirsel policies are open to the public during daylight hours all year round, with wonderful walks and great bird watching, a small parking fee applies.
However the house, former home of the Prime Minister Sir Alex Douglas-Home, is private and still lived in by the present Earl of Home.
Sir Alex Douglas Home was the last Prime Minister to hold a seat in the House of Lords that he renounced to take up office in the House of Commons.
He died here in 1995 at the age of 92 and is buried locally.

www.whitefoxgallery.com

Ticketty Boo - a phrase immortalised by the legendary Scottish comedian and Icon Billy Connelly – means;-great – first class – fantastic.
It is the name adopted by this business – who showcase a truly wonderful array of handcrafted textiles for the home and up-cycled vintage furniture; all living up to this classic name in every sense.
Ticketty Boo also forms part of the Arts and Craft Centre

www.tickettyboo.co.uk

Hirsel Cottage Tearoom is open daily and offers a mouth-watering selection of home-baking and excellent teas and coffees in a lovely converted cottage and is the focal point of the Craft Centre.

Located in Coldstream is the Coldstream Gallery, which sells an eclectic mix of high quality contemporary art including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, jewellery and prints.
The gallery is housed in an early 19th century seed merchant’s warehouse which has been restored to create a fantastic light, open space in which to appreciate art.
A simple café offers tea, coffee, and cakes in a comfortable, welcoming setting.

www.coldstreamgallery.co.uk

Hutton & Paxton
Set in the open country alongside the English border Broadmeadows Cottages are part of a picturesque four hundred acre estate situated within the grounds of Broadmeadows House, a working farm surrounded by attractive parkland and rolling countryside in the Tweed Valley.
Five cottages are available from small romantic cottages for two and family cottages sleeping five to six. All are very well appointed and equipped to a high standard – dogs are welcome.
The family cottages are located in a courtyard making them perfect for family celebrations.


Nearby is Paxton House - built between 1758 and 1763 by architect John Adam and his brother James for the young Patrick Home and is said to be one of the finest examples of neo-Palladian architecture in the whole of Scotland.
On 17th November 1988, the last laird of Paxton House, John David Home Robertson, gave the country house and its 80 acre estate to the nation for their benefit and enjoyment. The Paxton Trust exists to guide this vision and preserve the Paxton House legacy, and John remains very involved with running the estate.
House tours are led by friendly and knowledgeable guides along with expert commentary. No need to worry that the children will be bored, with the fun teddy trail throughout the house they are busy spotting bears while you enjoy the impressive rooms and rare collections- including Chippendale and Trotter furniture, and an extensive costume collection.
Perhaps the most well-known and most impressive room in the house is the Picture Gallery. The Robert Reid designed gallery is the largest private gallery of any country house in Scotland, and houses a collection of over seventy paintings dating from the late 18th and early 19th centuries, many of which have been loaned by the National Galleries of Scotland (who Paxton House work in partnership with). Featuring works by the likes of Raeburn, Reynolds, Wilkie, Nasmyth and Thomas Lawrence, the magnificent gallery is the grand culmination of the suite of rooms added by George Home in 1814 who, in his eightieth year, gave up his clerkship to the court of session in Edinburgh to retire and devote the end of his life to the creation of this great room along with cataloguing the collections of Patrick Home.
The Garden Apartment at Paxton House gives you the chance to enjoy these delights. The apartment is situated on the ground floor of the regency wing of the house, which was completed in 1813 to house the elegant Picture Gallery and Library, with their priceless collections of furniture, paintings and objects d’arts. Sleeping two to four people, the apartment has a contemporary feel to it, making it friendly and relaxing. The unique location and opportunity to stay within such an exclusive property really makes your holiday special.
A visit to Paxton House is not complete without exploring the grounds of 80 acres of woodland and riverside scenery that surround the house Overlooking the majestic River Tweed, the house was originally landscaped in the 18th century by Robert Robinson and now incorporates a large variety of riverside walks, trails and outdoor attractions for visitors to enjoy.
From the exhilaration of the Adventure Playground, to the tranquillity of the riverside walks, there is something for every member of the family to enjoy. Your dog is of course welcome as well, please keep them on a lead. The Adventure Playground is great fun for kids, with slides, swings, a zip wire and all sorts of places to climb. Children can also collect a trail sheet in the shop and follow the Teddy Trail signs around the grounds.
There is a wide range of wildlife to spot too, from highland cows to otters and birds. salmon, heron, cormorants, mute swans and sometimes even seals all inhabit the riverbanks whilst hares, squirrels and deer enjoy the woodland.
People have fished from the land where Paxton House now stands for centuries. Since the house was built, the fishing belonged to the estate, helping not only to fill hungry bellies but also supply surplus income. At Paxton today, netting is carried out using the traditional coble or small boat and visitors are welcome to visit our original boathouse, carefully restored from Victorian plans in 1997, which is now used as a fishing museum, showcasing the equipment used, along with pictures of the activities from that era.

www.paxtonhouse.com

Duns

Duns is the substitute administrative centre for Berwickshire. Because as we know the original county town Berwick, is in Northumberland.
Duns Scotus the religious philosopher was born here in 1308, a Franciscan friar who lectured as far a-field as Oxford, Paris and Cologne, where he died. Duns castle incorporates an ancient tower of the same period, built for Randolph Earl of Moray. The castle is a private home, but does open its doors for the odd celebratory wedding; the footballer Ryan Giggs was married here recently, sweeping through the castle gates in a limo with blackened windows, to the disappointment of the local waiting kids. Jim Clark was brought up hereabouts; he was World Racing Driver Champion in 1963 and 65.

A family business established for nearly a century Pearsons Home and Garden Centre is located at Station Road in Duns.
With ample free parking this is a great place to visit for Lunch or Coffee with the Baytree Café offering fresh home-baking, home-made soups and savouries.
Pearsons also have a well-stocked Garden Centre and excellent gift shop.
This business started life as Solid Fuel then Builders Merchants - and is still very active in these roles across the Borders Region.

www.pearsonsofduns.co.uk

This Borders town is also home to R Welsh and Son, suppliers of a wide range of equipment and accessories for the Fisherman and Shooter.
The shop at 28 Castle Street is full of essentials for all country enthusiasts, from fishing permits to outdoor wear.
They are also game dealers and hospitality event organisers

www.gunsandfishing.co.uk

Hugo’s is a Café Bistro Wine Bar that has successfully managed to create a warm and inviting ambience through blending elements of French romanticism with modern design and comfort.
It has quickly become locally renowned as the place to eat and drink during the day within Duns.
Playing a light blend of popular music and chilled classics combined with the warm, friendly and highly personable staff
Combined with its wide selection of teas, superb coffees, tray bakes and light bites whether it be just for you or you want to share it is the perfect place to come, unwind, relax and catch up with friends/colleagues within the modern day lifestyle.
As the lights dim both inside and out on - Friday and Saturday evenings - Hugo’s transforms into a quaint Bistro Wine Bar, offering fine food with a quality selection of wines, everything is designed to create a warm, enjoyable and memorable dining experience.

www.hugosduns.co.uk

A few miles out of Duns Manderston is the supreme country house of Edwardian Scotland; the swan-song of its era.
A house on which no expense was spared with opulent staterooms, the only silver-staircase in the world and extensive "downstairs" domestic quarters. It stands in 56 acres of formal gardens, with magnificent stables and stunning marble dairy.
John Kinross the architect, when enquiring how large his budget was, was told that money was no object. It was built for Sir James Miller who married the Honourable Eveline Curzon, daughter of Lord Scarsdale, head of one of the oldest families in the country.
The House and Gardens are open to the public alongside a tearoom and gift shop.
The house is also available for Open Days, Accommodation, Dining, Events and Corporate Days.

www.manderston.co.uk

Kelso

The Kinsman- Blake Gallery and working studios, now in the village of Smailholm, has been established in the Scottish Borders since 1979.
Alongside the work of invited guest artists, the Kinsman-Blake’s display their pots, paintings, jewellery, woodwork and sculpture.

www.kinsman-blakeceramics.co.uk

The ruins of Hume Castle enjoy outstanding views over the Borders, this former 13th century stronghold was partially restored in the 18th century.
It is the original seat of the Home family from which they take their name.
It is an example of one of the earliest castle types in Scotland with a rectangular courtyard plan, unusual in the South, being more often found in the West Highlands.
From its earliest times it was a beacon station for warning of invasion from England.
In 2005 ownership of the castle returned to the Humes after an interval of approximately 100 years, and it was acquired by the Hume Castle Preservation Trust, sponsored by the Clan Home Association.

www.clan-home.org

Just two miles from Kelso, between the River Tweed and Teviot are Roxburgh Barns Cottages - three four star self-catering cottages located on a family farm.
Enjoying private riverside walks and near to the famous Junction Pool, a great spot for watching salmon, perhaps the elusive otter and the colourful kingfisher.
Tweed and Teviot cottages accommodate five and Keepers Cottage four.
All have a cosy fire with logs and coal provided along with mod cons like - wifi, tv, dvd, and ipod dock. As well as fully equipped kitchens, complete with a thought full starter pack.
Dogs are welcome and short breaks are available with discounts for couples.

www.roxburgh-barns-cottages.co.uk

The Town sits at the foot of the drive to Floors Castle. Floors was remodelled from 1838 for the sixth Duke of Roxburghe by Playfair, and what a job he did over the following eleven years. The castle is like a fairy tale Palace, with pepper pot turrets, castellated parapets and a wealth of rich detail.
It’s the largest inhabited castle in Scotland and remains the centrepiece of the fifty thousand acre estate of the Duke and Duchess of Roxburghe.
Floors is open to the public, the castle filled with outstanding works of art and furniture and has a restaurant, gift shop, terrace coffee shop. With the walled garden and garden centre, with way-marked riverside and woodland walks makes floors a destination that happily fills a whole day out.
The setting of Floors seems to have remained unchanged.
It looks out, as it always has, over a wide sweep of meadow to the river and distant roofs and spires of Kelso, the town located a discreet distance of a mile away from the ‘Big House’, with to right of the town the site of Old Roxburghe Castle whilst the distant border hills act as a final back-cloth.

It was here in 1460 on the third of August that King James 11 whilst attacking the English held Roxburghe castle, died, when his canon the ‘Lion’ exploded and killed him.
The castle had been in the hands of the English for one hundred years.
A holy tree is said to mark the spot where he died.
His Queen, Mary of Gueders, made her way to the Scots camp with her eight year old son, and inspired the troops to take the castle and dismantled it leaving it much as we see it to this day.
Roxburghe was one of the four great castles of the time, ranking with Edinburgh, Stirling and Berwick, it even had a Royal Mint and a walled town. As a result of this it was a recent location for a T.V. series on archaeological digs.


www.roxburghe.net

Out of town at Heiton is the Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Course.
Owned by the Duke of Roxburghe, with the 22 bedrooms all designed by the Duchess.
This luxury hotel features the Library Bar, elegant drawing room and fine dining room, and offers unrivalled comfort combined with discreet first class service.
The kitchen using much of the fresh estate produce, has earned an outstanding reputation for the very best cuisine.
Whilst the activities available are not just restricted to the golf course on site, with a health and beauty suite, mountain biking, croquet, clay pigeon shooting, even rough and game shooting and stalking can also be arranged on the estate, as can some of the very best Salmon fishing in the country.


The confluence of the Rivers Tweed and Teviot are nearby, whose salmon have been running upstream for some ten thousand years.
This is the most expensive salmon fishing beats in the world, with anglers from far and wide paying enormous sums for a day’s sport, the T.V presenter Chris Tarrant is a regular.
Upon entering Kelso you may notice a set of rather grand gates that to lead nowhere, designed by Gillespie Graham for a now long vanished mansion.
We pass over the fine bridge leading into Kelso which was designed by John Rennie;
A blueprint for his famous Waterloo London Bridge, the lamps from which now adorn this structure after the dismantling of the later in the 1920’s.
Kelso Abbey was like all border Abbeys; founded by David in about 1128. It has perhaps suffered worst than the other three over the years, but was at one time a school that listed as one of its pupils a young Walter Scott.
The cobbled town square has an almost continental feel to it.

The Kelso Pottery was set up in 1970 by Ian and Elizabeth Hird to create a range of simple, practical stoneware pottery.
Ian's range of domestic-ware includes mugs, jugs, bowls, plates, vases and baking dishes. Intended for everyday use they are smooth of surface, hardwearing and richly decorated with impressions of the ever changing colours and light of the Border landscape.
Elizabeth's work combines throwing and hand-building techniques to create animals, birds and figures. She has a speciality of models of buildings and welcomes commissions.
Pit-Fired Wares (Time Tablets):- In the last few years Ian has been developing a completely different range of decorative pieces. He has studied the way the various firing techniques used affects the surfaces of pottery and in 1988 designed an outdoor pit-kiln. Designs are pressed into the clay, then filled in with various local clays. Before firing each piece is wrapped in straw, oats or barley then placed in the kiln. The unpredictable effects of the firing makes each piece unique.


Hendersyade Farm Cottages enjoy a blissfully peaceful setting at the end of their own lane on a family run – with outstanding big sky views over the farmland to the River Tweed and Eden Water.
A trio of farm cottages that each sleep four - are traditional, cosy and comfy.
Whilst Millside; which sleeps six, is tucked away in a quiet corner of the farm is contemporary and stylish.
Short breaks are available and discounts offered for couples.

www.hendersyde.co.uk

Mellerstain

Mellerstain was completed in 1778 by Robert Adam, some fifty years after it was started by his father William Adam, it is regarded as one of the country’s greatest Georgian houses.
The house and grounds are open to the public.
The terraced garden laid out in 1909 by Sir Reginald Blomfield commands a glorious view overlooking a lake to the Cheviots in the distance. Home of the Earl of Haddington, whose family have lived here since it was built, George Baillie and his wife Lady Grisell commissioned the house, a fine romantic story that dates back to 1684 when Grisell visited George’s father Robert who was imprisoned in Edinburgh Tolbooth with a message from her father, both staunch covenanters. Robert was eventually convicted and executed and both families had their estates confiscated and fled into exile. The romance blossomed whilst George was a junior officer in the Prince of Orange Horse Guards in Holland.
The coronation of King William the third saw the family estates restored and the couple married, Grisell even found time to write a ‘Household book’ which is a classic of social history.

www.mellerstain.com

Lauder

A top the high mountain pass of Soutra a little distance off the road is Soutra Aisle. This was once one of the largest and most northerly hospitals in the British Isles. Dating from the 12th century it was run by Augustinian monks and funded from the vast local hospital estates of some twenty square miles. Nothing of it remains today as the Aisle is a family burial vault built with the stone from the hospital and dates from 1686. The view however is regarded by many as the finest in Southern Scotland and over 60 major highland peaks are visible.
A wind farm adjoins this medieval site; a series of vast sculptures along the skyline.
A few miles on and we arrive at Lauder.
Lauder has a long history; it was first granted a Royal Charter by William the Lion in the late 12th early 13th century.
The Royal court of James the third encamped here in 1482 whilst the English army was besieging Berwick and some of the nobles met at the old Kirk to plan the execution of a few of the Kings advisors; but they needed someone to take the initiative; as one noble later described, the meeting was like a group of mice trying to decide which of their number would put a bell round the neck of a cat. The Earl of Angus volunteered and the unfortunate courtiers were hanged from Lauder Brig in full view of the distressed King. Despite this Berwick fell to the English and has remained in England ever since. The Town was made a Royal Burgh twenty years later in 1502.
The present Lauder Kirk was built in 1673 by the architect Sir William Bruce who was also working at nearby Thirlestane castle at that time. Bruce remodeled Holyrood Palace and is discussed in further detail on the East of Scotland and Perth & Kinross titles.
Lauder is thought to be one of the best examples of pre-Victorian domestic architecture unspoilt by the excesses of that period.

Established in 1998, The Flat Cat Gallery presents an ever changing exhibition of contemporary art, ceramics, sculptures and jewellery.
The Woodneuk Workshop of locally made furniture also enhances the art gallery with selected pieces.
Indeed artists from around the Scottish Borders and other parts of Scotland and the North of England exhibit frequently - adding to the veritable rich mix of artistic talent.
The Flat Cat is also a popular coffee shop with tasty soup, filling baguettes, excellent refreshments and wicked cakes.

www.flatcatgallery.co.uk

A little out of Lauder is the turn off for Thirlestane castle. This was rebuilt by the Duke of Lauderdale, who went into exile in Holland with Charles 2nd; he was taken prisoner at the Battle of Worcester and imprisoned in the tower of London under the death sentence. He was saved by the restoration and went on to become the virtual ruler of Scotland.
A story is told that a tenant farmers wife, Maggie Hardie, who was unable to pay the rent due to the very bad winter, pleaded with Lauderdale fearing eviction. He agreed to waive the rent if she could return in June with a snowball as evidence of the weather. The day in June duly arrived as did Maggie who handed the Duke a snowball; she had packed a crevice full of snow during the long winter and covered it from the sun.
Whilst the Duke was prisoner at the tower, Maggie dressed as a boy visited the laird with a cake she had baked in which she had hidden gold sovereigns, so determined was she to repay the rent, and his kindness.

This magnificent 16th Century Castle is set in a quiet meadow landscape, a distinctly different family home of the Duke of Lauderdale, Thirlestane is one of the oldest and finest castles in Scotland and still remains home to the Maitland family today.
During the summer months Thirlestane is open to the day visitor and for group tours. Thirlestane also makes itself and it's setting available for corporate events throughout the year, by prior arrangement. Visitors come from far and wide to be inspired, educated, innovated, create and even dance the night away, as our castle becomes yours.
With its own private access and exceptional views of the parkland to the front of Thirlestane Castle, The Lauderdale Apartment, located within the south wing of the castle, is available for self catering holiday lets, offering a unique opportunity for visitors to stay in a genuinely historic Scottish castle.
The Lauderdale apartment has private access through the courtyard and consists of open plan kitchen, dining area and seating area. It is a five minute walk into the local town Lauder.

www.thirlestanecastle.co.uk

Dryburgh & St Boswells

The Leaderfoot railway viaduct remains a remarkable structure, a few miles from here lies Old Melrose, a bend in the river below what is known as Scott’s view, this was the site of an ancient monastery of ‘Mailros’ some five hundred years before the other Border Abbeys, it was founded by Thomas Boisil, whose name is commemorated in the nearby village of St Boswell. Also a little distance on is the house of Bemersyde, gifted by the nation to Field Marshall Earl Haig in 1921.

Dryburgh Abbey is for many the most romantic of the border Abbeys; were Earl Haig is buried as is Sir Walter Scott. A 68 mile circular route – The Border Abbey Way -links three abbeys with this one, Jedburgh, Melrose and Kelso.


The Mainstreet Trading Company is an award winning destination bookshop & cafe which now boasts a deli and home shop. A renovated former auction house this is a light and airy space filled with books and the smell of coffee
The Deli has a strong local focus, combined with international flavours from Spain and the Middle East, working closely with local suppliers to create a broad range of specialist foods with a particular focus on cheeses, cured and smoked meats. The Deli also offers a take away service to include anything from our signature Darlington’s coffee to everything you could need for a day at the river.
The Home Shop collection has been sourced locally, nationally and internationally, focusing on the more unusual independent artisan suppliers, ranging from pretty kitchenware and beautiful hand-thrown Fenella Smith mugs to quirky jewellery and delicious soaps and candles. Being a part of that, now rare, breed, the bricks and mortar bookshop, Mainstreet is also keen to showcase the beauty of paper with a focus on stationery, gift wrap, cards and notebooks . They also offer a gift wrapping service.
Diana Muir Antiques can also be found in Home, with a selection of beautiful chairs, delicate tables and chests of drawers as well as lots of very affordable smaller items. Her stock changes regularly so do keep checking back.
Passionate about books, coffee and the pleasure of shopping for beautiful things.
The bookshop is the heart of the business, with over 7,000 titles in stock . With a belief that reading should start from the earliest possible age, the children’s section is particularly important to the shop. That said, they cater for readers of all ages and tastes.

www.mainstreetbooks.co.uk

At Newtown St Boswells located on Tweedside Road is Tweedside Gallery – which is the base for Ian Oliver Photography & Framing.
The Gallery showcases a large variety of quality hand made crafts and gifts, and a full range of Ian’s landscape photographs from the Borders and elsewhere. Crafts include those from fellow members of Crossing Borders, and other superb suppliers.
Offering a personal service for every framing need, with all work carried out by hand to specific requirements. They stock a range of picture hooks, cord, glass etc and undertake repairs to existing frames.

www.tweedsidegallery.co.uk

Mertoun Gardens are 26 acre garden surrounding Mertoun House - an early eighteenth century house dating from1703, and designed by Sir William Bruce - and is the private borders estate of the Duke of Sutherland.
Old Mertoun House, dating from 1677, is now the gardener's house in the walled garden.
There is a circular dovecote built in1567, ornamental pond, herbaceous borders, an arboretum and lawns sweeping down to the Tweed.
On request a gardener may guide you through the gardens.

www.mertoungardens.co.uk

Nearby is the Scottish Borders Donkey Sanctuary. It opens at weekends at 2.00pm each afternoon for conducted tours – the tours take about an hour and there is a small shop to visit.
S B D S is a registered charity founded in 2003 and based at The Holmes an 80 acre estate with an attractive Edwardian stable block and numerous well fenced watered paddocks of permanent pasture - each with a shelter. There is no admission charge however donations are gratefully accepted.

www.donkeyheaven.org

Melrose

We travel below the Eildon Hills that rise to 1400ft high; an outcrop of volcanic rock, that was once the tribal capital of Votadini. These ancient people occupied the lands from the Tyne to the Forth, the hills where at that time home to a settlement of some 2000.
The three hills they say were divided by the wizard Michael Scott, whilst tales tell of King Arthur, Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table who all sleep in a great hall deep in the hill. It was here that Thomas the Rhymer disappeared into the hidden fairy Kingdom for seven years with the Fairy Queen and returned with the gift of prophecy, certainly a Thomas Rhymer did live hereabouts in 1401.
Sir Walter Scott wrote much on this subject.

The award-winning Eildon Holiday Cottages are self catering holiday properties comprising of six modern cottages formed from the conversion of Georgian stone farm buildings dating from 1830, originally part of the Duke of Buccleuch’s estate. The cottages are built of Melrose stone, a lovely old-rose colour.
The property lies 600 feet up on the northern side of the famous Border landmark, the Eildon Hills, with magnificent views over the Tweed valley to the Lammermuir and Moorfoot Hills beyond.
Although quietly situated at the end of a private road, through the Nine-hole Melrose Golf Club, with no through traffic - the cottages are only half a mile from Melrose.
The properties are modern, yet have been designed to have a “cottage” feel, and have old local field names to emphasise their individuality. All are bright, warm, comfortable, very well equipped and the adaptations made for disabled and less able visitors are subtle and unobtrusive.

www.eildon.co.uk

Lowood Nursery is situated on the banks of the Tweed, near the Melrose to Gatonside ‘Bottle Bridge’. Some three quarters of a mile down a beautiful country lane, lined with trees – a haven for wildlife - with the convenience of the new Tweedbank railway station on the doorstep.
There has been a nursery here for many years but it was upgraded in 2008 and now offers a great range of hardy and interesting stock form new and unusual to golden oldies at a very reasonable price. The plants are grown mostly onsite and include alpines, perennials, shrubs, fruit & ornamental trees, climbers & seasonal bedding. Specialising in Bee and Butterfly friendly varieties.
Open all year round, they also have a Hydroponic growing facility for fruit, vegetables and herbs – selling kits & systems to anyone wishing to do the same.
Lowood Nursery offers a full design & planting service with an excellent reputation, putting together years of experience with fresh ideas and great plants.
www.lowoodnursery.co.uk

The Romans built an important fort at Trimontium a few miles away, the site influenced by the high visibility of the triple peaked Eildon hills which aided navigation.
At the ‘Three Hills’ Roman Centre’ located at The Ormiston in Market Square, Bill McLaren tells the story of the nearby 370 acre ‘Trimontium’ military complex at Newstead in the shadow of the three Eildon hills.
Newstead was the hub of Roman roads in Scotland and its southern capital.
Standing above an important crossing of the Tweed it is the site of the first known amphitheatre in Scotland. Excavations have uncovered amazing gems and artifacts, including decorated leather headgear for horses; semi-precious stones from soldiers’ rings; and wonderful helmets. The display includes the face of a Roman soldier, reconstructed from his skull. His skeleton was found down one of Trimontium’s one hundred mysterious ‘pits’. Guided walks from the centre to the site take place in the season. Contact the centre for dates and times.
Latest permanent display - 228 silver denarii of 2nd century AD from Synton Hill, Hawick, valued at £10,000

www.trimontium.org.uk

At Melrose market Square is a 16th century Market Cross.

Present Perfect offers beautiful gifts for you and your home.
They showcase all sorts of things to suit every taste and budget.
Located at number one Scott’s Place, since 2007 Present Perfect has been offering a fine selection of gifts and small finishing touches for the home.
Each item is chosen with care to provide quality, value and to be that little bit different.
With an on-line presence they continue to add interesting items that are also suitable by mail order.

www.presentperfectmelrose.co.uk

This 18th century hotel, situated in the heart of Melrose’s picturesque market square, has been owned and managed by the Henderson family for almost 40 years.
As a listed building, Burt’s Hotel has been sympathetically restored and extended to retain its original charm, yet provide all the refinements of a modern first-class hotel.
Burt’s Hotel’s tradition of serving the finest food and wines has won many accolades over the years including two AA Rosettes. It is also featured in the good beer guide and has a gantry of some 90 single malts.
The hotel boasts 20 en-suite rooms (13 double and twin-bedded rooms and 7 singles), all equipped to the highest standard - each room has been individually decorated to make any stay restful and relaxing.

www.burtshotel.co.uk

A hotel with a bit of a twist and created by people who have all the ingredients to make it a success:- The Townhouse is a privately owned hotel situated in the heart of the town expertly run by the Henderson family - who also own and run the internationally renowned Burt’s hotel, directly opposite.
A sense of style, colour and a pleasing ambience characterise every aspect of the hotel. Good food, in lovely surroundings, along with friendly Scottish hospitality make this a wonderful setting to enjoy.
The Townhouse Hotel’s accommodation consists of 11 ensuite bedrooms ranging in size and facilities, from the most accommodating to the quite indulgent. Recently refurbished the bedrooms are all individually designed and each is unique in its style and character.

www.thetownhousemelrose.co.uk

The bitter wars that ravaged the Scottish borders did irreversible damage to Melrose Abbey, but even in ruins it remains beautiful, founded in 1136 by King David 1st.
It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary by the monks from the Cistercian Abbey of Rievaulx in Yorkshire.
The Abbey was badly damaged by the English Kings Edward the 2nd in 1322 and Richard the 2nd in 1385, and again by the English in 1544 and 45. The abbey as it stands today was preserved by the energy of Sir Walter Scott and the money of the Duke of Buccleuch in 1822. Some of the finest figure sculpture in the country is preserved here. The Abbey holds the heart of Robert the Bruce who died of leprosy, but requested that his heart was taken on crusade to the Holy land by Sir James Douglas. Sir James whilst on crusade, found himself trapped by a ambush of Saracens, with no hope of escape, he threw the casket containing Bruce’s heart at the enemy saying the words ‘lead on Brave heart and I will follow’, he died that day, but the casket was retrieved and eventually interred here at Melrose. Bruce had been responsible for much of the re-building of the Abbey, only to be demolished by the invading English once again.

Fiorlin is a 200 year old converted Parish School set in it’s own walled garden in Abbey Close – a few hundred yards from the many restaurants, bistros and hotels of Melrose.
It offers comfortable en-suite accommodation for five guests.
Local produce is a key feature of the fine borders breakfast that really sets you up for the day.

www.melrosebedandbreakfast.co.uk

We leave Melrose passing the town’s rugby field Greenyards, which is the home of seven a side rugby which began here in 1883.

A ten minute walk from Melrose over the picturesque chain bridge; in the centre of Gattonside village is the informal, cosy and atmospheric Chapters Bistro. –
Run by Alex and Tiina, husband and wife team, who bring years of hospitality experience into ‘Chapters’. Tiina is in charge of the busy open kitchen and Alex runs front of house with their friendly and attentive team of staff.
"Chapters" offers you a little taste of the Med in the heart of the Borders
Choose from a fine selection of fresh fish specialities from the blackboard or excellent Scottish Border beef, chargrilled to your liking, plus a varied choice of locally sourced produce served with a rustic and imaginative twist.
To accompany your meal, diners can choose from Chapters own labelled Chilean house wines or a comprehensive selection from around the world; there is something for every palate. Homemade desserts are indulgent and mouth watering.

www.chapters-bistro.co.uk

Lilliesleaf

Take a short detour to the pretty village of Lilliesleaf.
Passing through the ancient lands of Riddell. The first estate granted by King David to layman, and remains to this day with the Riddell family.
Riddell house was sadly very badly damaged by fire during the war, when used by the Women’s land army, and remains a dangerous ruin.
Said to have been built with interiors made from wood salvaged from the Spanish Armada, the house was described by Sir Walter Scott as ‘ancient Riddles fair domain’.
The village of Lilliesleaf has in common with order border villages its own version of ‘handba’ ; a game in which the village is divided into ‘Uppies’ and ‘Downies’ and a two ‘Haling lines’ are made on the high street. A ball, said to represent the head of an Englishman, is then played with. This historic game is only played on set dates each year.

Offering delicious home made delights from the Jammy Coo menu
It also offers beautiful original artwork, gorgeous gifts, crafts, jewellery and greeting cards – by talented Scottish Artists.
The Jammy Coo is a fantastic place for a light lunch with home made soups and fresh baking and to find that perfect gift.

www.jammycoo.co.uk

Abbotsford

The house built and lived in by Sir Walter Scott, situated on the banks of the River Tweed, a gothic fantasy on a grand scale; with crow stepped gables, conical turrets, a battlemented tower; the house seems to have been a fashion statement of the time and the romantic Scottish revival that followed on, some say, resulted in Prince Albert building Balmoral.
Abbotsford contains an impressive collection of historic relics, weapons and armour, such as Rob Roy’s gun and Montrose’s sword, whilst his library contains over 9000 rare volumes. The public rooms are very much as Sir Walter left them, when he died in September 1832.
There is a Visitor Centre with an Exhibition on Scott, Gift Shop, and Restaurant.
Whilst the grounds offer some peaceful and serene walks amongst some fine herbaceous borders.
The house was so named by Scott as the land had once belonged to the Abbey of Melrose and a ford close to the house was used by the monks. The original simple farm house of Cartleyhole that stood on the site was demolished in 1822 and the present house built some two years later.

www.scottsabbotsford.co.uk

Galashiels

The motto of Galashiels ‘Sour plums’ refers to a group of English soldiers who where slain as they picked wild plums in 1337.
The town was granted a Royal charter over two hundred and fifty years later in 1599 an event celebrated each summer with the ‘Braw Lads’ Gathering.
The manufacture of Tweed has grown here; the name derives from the cloth twill or tweel. In 1777 the Galashiels Manufacturers Corporation was formed bearing another motto ‘we dye to live and live to die’. The population rapidly grew from 5000 to some15000 with resulting overcrowding of the town.
New Gala House was converted to the Girls School ‘St Trinians’ during the Second World War; immortalised by Ronald Searle, housing those adventurous naughty schoolgirls.

Tartan + Tweed is a great wee shop packed full of authentic Scottish attire, accessories and gifts.
It offers Kilts – hand-made in the Borders, tartan skirts and childrens wear.
All complimented by a comprehensive range of accessories.
The iconic Harris Tweed jacket are available in a number of weights and styles along with ladies tweed coats, jackets, hats and scarves.
Whilst for the home :- a carefully selected choice of books, kitchen-wear, candles and cushions as well as local art and photography.

www.scotire.com

Innerleithen

Innerleithen Kirk was granted to the monks of Kelso in 1159 as it was the place the body of the son of King Malcolm 1V first rested after his drowning in the river Tweed. The town is at the confluence of the river Leithen and Tweed and grew to become an important textile mill centre, at one point enjoying the highest exports per capita than anywhere else in the entire United Kingdom. It was also for a time a Spa town with waters similar to those of Harrogate, it was said the water had been bathed in by the devil which accounted for its flavour of Brimstone! The Spa was re-named St Ronans Well, after the fictional novel by Sir Walter Scott.
St Ronan never passed this way and was a figment of Sir Walters imagination, however Sir Walter was a frequent visitor to a hotel which his novel also gave its name to:-

The St Ronan’s Hotel, built in 1819 and renamed in 1827 four years after Scott published his novel. Today it offers 7 en-suite rooms, bar and dining room and massive beer garden. Guest cask ales and the home cooked food are popular and the bar is a great meeting place for the locals.

Just outside town is Traquair, the oldest inhabited castle in Scotland owned and lived in by the same family since 1478.
The first Royal visitor here was King Alexander 1st who signed a charter at an earlier hunting lodge on this site;- once deep in the forest, which would have at that time teamed with wolves, wild boar and bears.
A total of 27 monarchs have visited Traquair, some less welcome than others, as the castle was taken by force by Edward the 1st and 2nd.
It is however the association with the Stuarts Dynasty that gives the house its unique place in Scottish history.
John Stuart the 4th laird was captain of the guard for Mary Queen of Scots and a number of items are on display here gifted by the beleaguered Queen.
The 7th Laird under another Stuart monarch Charles 1st rose to be Lord High Treasurer of Scotland.
But it was the visit by Bonnie Prince Charlie during the ’45 that is perhaps most associated with Traquair as the gates have remained firmly closed since his departure from here en-route to derby, only to be re-opened upon the restoration of the Stuart line; the rebellion failed and the gates stayed closed.
As a result we enter Traquair by a side gate along a drive which runs alongside the tree lined avenue.
The house has remained unaltered from this time and seems to have avoided the Georgian, Victorian or Edwardian makeovers that most big houses succumb too.
This enables us to see Traquair today as an accurate reflection of the way of life two and three hundred years ago.
The castle is open to the public and is an authentic piece of living history,
Traquair House brewery is attached to the main house and brews and sells a fine range of strong real ale, and has since the 1960’s before anyone else had heard of real ale, reviving a tradition of brewing here going back more than 150 years.
The castle gift shop is next door.
The grounds are home to a number of craft businesses and the Old Walled Garden is home to the ’45 restaurant.
Whilst some peaceful woodland walks lead down to the Tweed.

www.traquair.co.uk

Peebles

‘The Tweed is the noblest of all Scottish Rivers’ is the assertion in ‘Chambers Encyclopaedia’ as its founder was William Chambers a son of the next town of Peebles. Born in 1800 he was a bit of a Dick Whittington character leaving the poverty of his childhood at 13 to seek fame and fortune in the capital, he even became Lord Provost of Edinburgh and with his younger brother Robert founded the famous publishing firm. Upon returning to the Town in retirement he left the legacy of the Gallery and Library.
The river is celebrated for its salmon and the town coat of arms bears the motto
‘against the stream they multiply’
The town takes its name from the Celtic word ‘Pebyll’ or tent as it was probably an early normadic campsite. Robert the Bruce granted the town the right to hold a fair, and James1 the poet King wrote the poem ‘Peebles to the Play’. Whilst the sixth James wrote the charter proclaiming the Beltane Fair, that is still read at the celebrations today.
Many writers have been associated with the town including Robert Louis Stevenson and John Buchan who grandfather was a lawyer here and the firm of Thorburn Lyon and Buchan still practice in Peebles
Buchan was the eldest of four boys and two girls, the next eldest was his sister Anna, later to become another novelist under the pseudonym of O.Douglas, she lived for many years at Bank House as did William, a well respected local historian and writer.
A few miles out of town is the Horseshoe Inn - the very essence of traditional Inn-keeping offering very comfortable overnight accommodation and excellent quality dining.
An outstanding award winning Restaurant with Rooms:- it has been awarded two AA rosettes and Gold Star rating as well as an Eat Scotland Gold Award and is listed in the Mitchelin Guide.
The emphasis at the Horseshoe is on service and hospitality with quality not quantity the key factor, indeed the candle lit restaurant has only ten tables, along with a private dining room [ideal for family gatherings].
A flag stoned lounge area offers comfy sofas and a wood-burning stove and is ideal for pre and post dinner drinks.
The rooms have been created from the former village school house - just across the car park from the Inn and offers eight luxury en-suite rooms – rated four star.

www.horseshoeinn.co.uk


Winkston Guest House and self catering cottages are nearby and offers quality 4 star accommodation for your stay in Peebles, situated just on the outskirts of Peebles town centre.
A 5 minute drive or a pleasant walk takes you into town form Winkston.
A small working farm with sheep and horses of all shapes and sizes and very friendly dogs and cats.
The views over Peebles and towards Edinburgh from the hill land is amazing, guest are welcome to walk on the farm land.
A long established family business with focus on customer care and quality.

www.winkstonholidays.co.uk

Buchan wrote a total of a hundred books including history, biography and fiction, for which he is best known.
He also enjoyed careers as a barrister, war correspondent, intelligence officer, historian, publisher, and politician ; he was an M.P. and Governor General of Canada.
When granted a peerage he took the title Lord Tweedsmuir from this wonderful area of the Border’s he loved so dearly
A 13 mile way-marked route encompasses many of his favourite places in the Borders.

www.johnbuchanstory.co.uk

Situated 2.5 miles from Peebles town centre, Kailzie Gardens are open 7 days a week throughout the year.
In their seasons, including the display of Snowdrops, Daffodils and sheets of Bluebells, the Gardens provide a rich variety of colour and charm for both the keen gardener, and for the visitor simply wanting to enjoy a beautiful garden in peaceful surroundings.
Apart from the gardens, principal attractions for a day out include live viewing of the Tweed Valley Ospreys, the restaurant, children's corner, putting green and a picnic area.
For the angler a fly-fishing pond and a private 2 mile stretch on the River Tweed.
A three bedroom self-catering cottage is situated within the eighteenth century stables and has an open aspect to the west. Although positioned in the centre of the gardens, it is reasonably secluded, with it's own small garden and sitting out area.
The Bunkhouse consists of three bunkrooms with two bunks in each with either shower rooms or bathrooms en-suite. There is also two dormitory style rooms with bunks and single beds sleeping five or seven people, each also with a shower room. Public area comprise of a large communal kitchen and dining room with cookers, microwaves, fridges etc., and a cosy sitting room with television, DVD player and a wood-burning stove.

www.kailziegardens.com

Leave Peebles, passing Niedpath Castle dramatically positioned high above the Tweed.

Set in open farmland near West Linton is Whitmuir, which is one of the best organic shops in the UK with the largest selection of organic and sustainable produce you can find. The shop, together with the butchery and licensed restaurant, is on a real, working organic farm - so you can see exactly where your food comes from.
The farm hosts the Breadshare Bakery, the Whitmuir Biochar Project, Quercus Plants and the Dancing Light Gallery for contemporary Scottish art.
All of the meat, veg, fruit and eggs grown on the farm are sold through the shop. The meat is butchered in the organic butchery. The bread is baked in the Breadshare Bakery on the farm, using some of the homegrown wheat. Everything in the shop can be ordered online
The restaurant kitchen also cooks the ‘Made Right Here’ range of steak pies, quiche, cottage and shepherd pies, pate, jams, cakes and chutney.
The farm has been here for at least 300 years, the ground has been farmed organically for most of it's lifetime, returning to full organic production 10 years ago. It consists of 140 acres and this is traditionally sheep and beef country, but Whitmuir also keep chickens for eggs and meat, turkeys for Christmas, and pigs for pork and bacon. As well as livestock, they grow a wide range of vegetables and soft fruit, plus a small quantity of wheat for baking.
There are marked trails round the farm, and visitors are welcome to come and see the animals - Whitmuir is planning to be the first community owned farm in Scotland and develop a living-learning site on sustainable food.

www.whitmuirtheorganicplace.co.uk

Dancing Light Gallery is an exciting rural art gallery with changing exhibitions throughout the year where you can find landscape, wildlife and figurative paintings as well as hand-made original prints and photographs.
A selected range of beautiful contemporary original art and crafts, glass, ceramics, jewellery, wood, sculpture and textiles is always on display.

www.dancinglightgallery.co.uk

Broughton & Skirling

John Buchan spent many long happy summers here:- his mother was from a local farming family who still work much of the ground hereabouts. His Granddaughter Lady Stewartby lives in the village. open during the summer months and gives an in-depth look at the life, family and achievements of this remarkable man.
Buchan wrote a total of a hundred books including history, biography and fiction, for which he is best known. He also enjoyed careers as a barrister, war correspondent, intelligence officer, historian, publisher, and politician ; he was an M.P. and Governor General of Canada.
When granted a peerage he took the title Lord Tweedsmuir from this wonderful area of the Border’s he loved so dearly.

Visit the award winning Broughton Ales located just outside the village of Broughton
The fine ales brewed here are available throughout the borders and south West, with two brewery owned pubs in Dumfries.
Founded in 1979 they offer some 8 bottled beers, 10 casks and upto 15 seasonal beers.

www.broughtonales.co.uk

The cookschool.com is based at Broughtonknowe House within easy access of Edinburgh and Glasgow. A great place to escape for the day to a rural retreat with a fantastic kitchen and stunning views of the Pentland hills.
The programmes are well structured to suit the needs of each group, whatever the level of skill. All the programmes include hands-on cooking and demonstration. Group size varies from 6 - 20. The smaller group allows for one-to-one tuition throughout the day. The larger group provides an excellent opportunity for team building and networking. Based on a Tuscan or French Provencal kitchen where everyone work around a big Island.
With about 20 acres of land and a newly created vegetable garden, along with a small orchard, the Cook School use home grown apples, rhubarb, wild garlic, potatoes, red cabbage courgettes and herbs, amongst other things.
A new business venture is that of farming goats - the goat dairy industry do not have a need for billy goats, so rather than being killed at birth, they are being reared for meat.
The meat is light in colour not strong in flavour, the texture is soft and tender and their is very little fat ,which means all of that animal is eaten.
The Cook School has offered outside catering for private and corporate clients for over 20 years.
Broughtonknowe was the birthplace of George Ballantine ,founder of Ballantines whisky, second largest selling blended brand of whisky in the world .
He lived here with his family up to the age of 13 when he went to Edinburgh to become a grocer .

www.thecookschool.com

The next village is Skirling.
Skirling House offers five star accommodation and fine food. The house overlooks the village green and sits in three acres of grounds complete with a tennis court and croquet lawn
Built in 1908 in the English Domestic tradition, with Arts and Crafts details. The house is particularly noteworthy for its collection of decorative wrought ironwork. The iron rail on the side of the house is decorated with a selection of creatures, including dragons and a gentleman in a top hat. Inside the house, the use of ironwork extends to doors and windows, handles, light fittings and even radiator covers.
The house is essentially domestic in character, but features some fine chimneypieces. The most spectacular room is the Drawing Room, which was built to display a 16th Century Italian ceiling.
When it comes to books – not only is there a fully stocked library, but each bedroom also has a selection of books - enough to satisfy even the most omnivorous of readers.
The traditional Scottish cooked breakfast is prepared to the highest of standards and there is a different choice of cooked special on the blackboard each day. Also on offer is a range of continental breakfast options, featuring home made jams and preserves, local honey and freshly-squeezed juices, as well as stewed rhubarb or apple and a fruit compote. The home baked bread, mini-muffins and the fresh laid eggs are a specialty.
Dining at Skirling House, either by the log fire in the dining room in winter, or more usually in the conservatory overlooking the garden, is relaxed and convivial, with the honesty of the food matched by the charm of the setting. A four course set menu is served, as far as possible, using ingredients that are in season and local – indeed they grow as much of the fruit and vegetables as possible in the garden.

www.skirlinghouse.com


Nearby Dawyck is truly one of the world’s finest arboreta. Seasonal displays of abundant exotic and native plants provide a breathtaking backdrop of colour throughout the year. The Garden also offers an award-winning visitor centre.
The award-winning Dawyck Visitor Centre greatly enhances the visitor experience. This exciting new facility comprises a café, serving refreshments and light lunches (outdoor seating is also available) and a studio for exhibitions and events.
The greatly expanded shop carries a special selection of botanical gifts and books as well as an interesting range of hardy plants reflecting the Garden's collection.
Dawyck Cafe, with a nice outlook onto the Garden, serves an excellent Fairtrade coffee from Brodie's of Edinburgh and a good range of teas along with great cakes, bakes and interesting lunches with strong emphasis on Scottish, local and seasonal ingredients. A selection of home-made gluten free and nut and dairy free products are usually available for those with special dietary needs.

www.rbge.org.uk

St Marys Loch & Yarrow Valley

Ettrick forest has had recent additions of forestry; much as elsewhere in Scotland and efforts are being made to reintroduce native hardwoods, but the forest of old was cleared centuries ago to make way for the sheep of the powerful border abbeys.
The forest was granted to the powerful black Douglas after Bannockburn and later annexed to the crown in 1455; it became a Royal forest with the last Royal to hunt here being Mary Queen of Scots who was said to have been disappointed with the bag.
Earlier Stuarts visited the area with a different quarry in mind and King James V hung the self styled King of Thieves Adam Scott of Tushielaw from the branches of an old ash tree at the gate to his house
A popular destination for many travelers to this area is St Mary’s loch and the smaller Loch o’ the Lowes; on the isthmus straddling them is the statue to Hogg.
He walked these hills with an ink bottle pinned to his lapel, he formed a literary society with fellow shepherds, always a much grounded individual, it is said he turned down an invitation to the coronation of George 1V as it clashed with a prior commitment at St Boswells Fair.
The ballads of the borders where collected and written by Sir Walter Scott, much to the dismay of Hogg’s mother, whose accused Scott of breaking the spell by putting them to paper. Ballads served a critical role in the identity of the border folk, being passed down from generation to generation, with ghosts and fairies all playing an important role in these stories of the past, indeed Hogg’s father in Law Will o’ Phaup was the last man known to have conversed with fairies.

Located at the Loch Side a short distance on is the famous Tibbie Shiels Inn, formerly run by Isabella Shiels, known as Tibbie, who in 1824 was widowed and opened the Inn as a means of supporting her six bairns; playing host to the likes of Sir Walter Scott, James Hogg and possibly Wordsworth until her death at the age of 95 in 1878.
Whilst still in the Shiels family the Inn was later visited by many Victorian Greats such as Gladstone, Robert Louis Stevenson and Thomas Carlyle. Still frequented by the great and good, this popular Inn has a great atmospheric bar offers a range of real ales including the sponsor Broughton Ales and is very well known for its excellent bar food. Despite the inevitable nod to modern day comforts, the essence and character of Tibbie’s that attracted such luminaries is still apparent to this day. The very same walls that witnessed their musings await the next enthralling debate with keen anticipation.
The Inn also offers Accommodation and free fishing on St Mary’s Loch for guests and is set in six acres running down to the waters edge.

www.tibbieshiels.com

This wild mountain scenery is more like the Highlands and is steeped in history and myth, Merlin was said to have fled here after witnessing the slaughter at a battle near Carlisle, he lived his final years high in the hills finally being stoned to death by local shepherds. King Arthur is said to have fought a great battle at ‘Warriors Rest’ near Yarrow Kirk where an inscribed stone of great age tells of the grave of two Princes; Nudus and Domnogenus, the sons of Liberalis.
We pass the brooding remains of Dryhope Tower; seat of the Scott’s, whose family motto ‘Moonlight Fills the bowl’ tells of the lady of the house placing Scotts spurs on a plate when the larder was empty. The family prospered and in time became the powerful Dukes of Buccleuch.

After a few miles we reach the Gordon Arms Hotel, this was also frequented by Walter Scott and James Hogg, a letter dated 1828 in the bar from Hogg certifies that the then landlord John Gordon was fit to hold a licence, whose name is an all probability still the one by which the hotel is known to this day.
A plaque outside tells us that Hogg and Scott last met here in 1830.
They no doubt enjoyed many a dram in the bar here and little seems to have changed, it is still a popular meeting place for locals and offers real ales, good wholesome homemade food in the bar or dining room and accommodation in en-suite rooms in the hotel.

www.thegordonarms.com

Ettrickbridge

The Ettrick valley is much associated with James Hogg, he was born and buried here. A contemporary of Sir Walter Scott, Hogg was never really accepted in polite Edinburgh society, unlike Scott, and his relationship with Scott never achieved that of a meeting of literary equals, and was more like Patron and Protégé.
Hogg was however well respected in London after the ‘Queens Wake’ was published.
The area is perhaps known to many as the home of Sir David Steele, who entered the commons as a borders M.P in 1965 and rose to lead the Liberals eleven years later. The first speaker of the new Scottish Parliament, his family lived for many years in a farmhouse hereabouts and a few years ago refurbished a castle nearby, once itself the reputed home of the legendry wizard Michael Scott.

The Cross Keys Inn is a superb refurbishment of a 17th century coaching Inn, the Inn remains at the heart of this village, serving a range of fine real ales and has a well earned reputation for its bar meals.
With low oak beamed ceilings, open log fires and a myriad of old prints and photos displaying local characters and events; this is a place to stop a-while and absorb the atmosphere. For a well earned nights rest the Inn has a range of accommodation; with five luxury en-suite rooms at the Inn.

www.crosskeysettrickbridge.co.uk


The Borders home of the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch.
Bowhill is one of lowland Scotland’s greatest estates, and it extends to more than 61,000 acres. It includes non-adjoining areas such as Melrose’s famous Eildon Hills, East Buccleuch, Branxholm and Eckford. Branxholm Castle, near Hawick.
Bowhill House lies in a beautiful setting a mile above the confluence of the Ettrick and Yarrow Rivers, two of the tributaries of the famous River Tweed.
It features a renowned art collection as well as Walter Scott memorabilia, a James Hogg Exhibition, theatre, , Victorian Kitchen minstrel tearoom and shop . Outside you can enjoy way-marked woodland walks and for the kids an adventure playground and pony trekking.

www.bowhill.org

Selkirk

The Royal and Ancient burgh of Selkirk is rich in the very essence of Scottish history:- Sir William Wallace was knighted in the Kirk Yard here.
An event that took place after the battle of Flodden is still celebrated in the Selkirk Common Ridings. It tells of the town’s lone survivor of that fateful day; known as Fletcher, who was too overcome to put news of the lost battle into words and he simply lowered his flag to the ground. The Flag lowering is relived every year with a great deal of pride and reverence.
A century or so later the last battle fought in the borders took place here in 1645 when General Leslie at night marched towards Selkirk and surrounded the sleeping troops of Montrose. Montrose escaped, but his treasure chest was lost on the battle field and has never been found to this day. Lost also where the lives of many of his men, some shot in the square here at Selkirk.
Selkirk is where Sir Walter Scott was sheriff for over thirty years and a statue in front of the Courthouse testifies to this. The towns unspoilt architecture resulted in it being used as a location in the T.V. drama North and South filmed recently.

The Heatherlie House Hotel was formerly a Mill owners house, the fine picture windows and large public rooms looking out to the mature grounds, all show the property was one of great substance and some locals remember the Mill owner would open the grounds once a year for the townsfolk and his workers to visit and wonder at the lifestyle of their benevolent boss.
These days Heatherlie is a hotel with nine comfortable bedrooms and offers a choice of dining in the lounge bar or dining room, for both residents and non-residents. A hotel is the traditional style with ample safe parking and set in two acres of gardens. Yet only a few minutes walk from the town. The bar at Heatherlea was featured in the Camra guide with the local sponsor Broughton Ale often featured. It also has an interesting selection of Malts and a well chosen wine list.

www.heatherliehotel.co.uk

Needle Point is a family run sewing shop situated in West Port.
They stock a large selection of wools, yarns, buttons, thread, ribbon, patchwork and other associated items.
Alterations and dressmaking are also available as is free advice and a friendly welcome to all.

Philiphaugh Salmon Viewing Centre is nearby which shows live underwater images and recorded highlights of Salmon running up the Ettrick river.
See salmon leaping up the Cauld on the last leg of their epic journey in season (either May & June or Sept to Nov when river is high) - all just a few minutes walk from the centre. , the estate also has a fine walled garden and various way-marked walks
The Waterwheel restaurant - constructed in Scots Pine timber with fine views across the fields to the site of the Battle of Philiphaugh - serves locally sourced produce.
The battle of Philiphaugh was a fierce and bloody battle, fought between the Covenanters and the Royalists on the 13th September 1645.

www.salmonviewingcentre.com

Hawick

The Horse and Hound Country Inn is an old coaching Inn dating from 1701 located at Bonchester Bridge seven miles from Hawick.
It offers very popular accommodation in nine en-suite rooms, some with sauna showers.
It is open for excellent bar meals and features real ales, a beer garden and BBQ / Picnic area.
It has Free Wi-Fi, a roaring log fire for the colder evenings and has busy bar, lounge and restaurant.
It is also the local community shop.

www.horseandhoundcountryinn.co.uk

Farx4 are based near Here and are active members of the British Off Road Driving Association. They provide driver and winch training courses at a purpose-built off-road site and offer 4x4 Experience sessions and gift vouchers.
They run frequent Adventure Days and competitive trials too

www.farxfour.com

Lindsay Roberts is a mixed media artist focused on textile and paper, and trading as The Border Tart. Here at Tart HQ, set in the glorious Borders landscape, she offers a feast of rich hand dyed indigo yarns, fat skeins of colourful hand-spun, myriad bright buttons and other treats for the textile-minded.

www.tartsart.co.uk

Hawick is the largest of the border towns and was the site of a major livestock market, today a supermarket, where more than a quarter of a million sheep a year would be sold.
One local who became a national hero was yachtsman Chay Blyth.
The town is famous for the Common Ridings which represents the young single men, or ‘Callants’ of the village who fought and won the small but memorable skirmish in 1514 nearby at Hornshoe.
This was only a year after Flodden which had seen the men folk of the town lost in battle, leaving only the youth to defend it. At the beginning of June the young lads ride out behind the ‘Cornet’ chosen by his predecessors, the ‘Cornet’ is dressed in a traditional top hat and green coat.
One of Scotland’s famous exports; textiles is worth nearly two billion a year, and Hawick alone exported some £110 million and was one of the largest exporting centres per head of population in the U.K.
Knitting began here as a cottage industry in 1771 when a local magistrate, Baillie John Hardie introduced the first stocking frame, by 1820 over 320,000 pairs a year were made on 500 frames increasing a few years later to 1200 frames.
World famous woolen manufactures such as Pringle, Peter Scott, Lyle and Scott and Barrie all originate from here.

Today Peter Scott is a luxury knitwear house known for combining traditional craftsmanship with the latest knitwear innovations.
The understated knitwear is defined by exceptional quality, design, craftsmanship and real life appeal.
Peter Scott was founded in 1878 with a vision to combine traditional knitting techniques and the latest manufacturing technology;- A mission to always to create great knitwear defined by exceptional quality and timeless design.
The same attention to detail and innovation, which inspired the founder continues at the heart of its manufacturing procedures to this day.
All of the garments are hand crafted using 24 processes in their factory in Hawick and finished in soft Scottish water.

www.peterscott.co.uk

Denholm

The village of Denholm was the birthplace of Sir James Murray first editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, knighted in 1908, he died seven years later and never saw the completed dictionary as he was on the letter’T’ at the time. A more recent local worthy is the biker Steve Hislop; Isle of Man TT winner in 1992.
The Fox and Hounds is an old coaching Inn, the courtyard through the pend now a popular beer garden was once stabling and incorporated a former stocking shop. The Inn today is the popular meeting and eating place for locals and visitors alike.
Bed and Breakfast is also available in the adjacent house, owned by the Inn.
We leave the village and head up into the Minto Hills, the thatched cottage we pass was the birth place of Dr John Leyton, Poet , Doctor and Minister and the Monument on the green is also in his honour.
Dr Leyden collaborated with Sir Walter Scott in collecting ballads, a great traveler he was doubtlessly helped by the first Earl of Minto, Governor-General of India Sir Gilbert Elliot; in his appointment as a judge of the High Court, incredibly Leyden spoke forty five languages and was also professor of Hindustani in Calcutta. He died in Java at the age of 36.
A little out of the village is Minto, a hamlet of service cottages for the once grand Minto estate.
Minto house was demolished a number of years ago.
The ill-fated mansion was remodeled for Earl Minto when in India, who died on his return to Scotland and never actually saw the completed house.
It was the work of successive Scottish Greats such as Adam, Playfair and Lorimer and after being a private school it was closed in the late sixties.
The grounds survive as a golf course, whilst a number of the gate lodges have also been refurbished.
Flatcaps castle its medieval predecessor is still standing atop a wooded hill and home to crows that crowd its battlements. It is said that the castle was last used by a local laird to hide his disabled son.

The Fox and Hounds is an old coaching Inn, the courtyard through the pend now a popular beer garden was once stabling and incorporated a former stocking shop.
The Inn today is the popular meeting and eating place for locals and visitors alike.
Bed and Breakfast is also available in the adjacent house, owned by the Inn.


Ancrum

Just one of three Border Caravans Parks.
Lilliardsedge Holiday Park and Golf Course is nestled within over 90 acres of stunning Borders countryside and market towns with Static Caravans and Lodges for sale and hire.
Tourers, Motor Homes and Tents are also welcome.
They offer free Wi-Fi, laundry, a well stocked shop, and play park
As well as a Bar and Restaurant - which features light entertainment most Saturdays and a very popular and tasty Sunday Carvery.
Lilliardsedge Golf Course also enjoys the same superb views and is recognized as challenging and possibly having the best greens in the Borders. Ideal for more senior golfers.

www.lilliardsedgepark.co.uk

This area is dominated by Peniel Haugh a 800 ft high hill that has another 156ft added by the Waterloo Monument.
The surrounding forestry was said to have been planted to represent the troop formations of that great battle.
The nearby Monteviot House is the seat of the Earl of Anchrum and Lord Lothian, members of the ancient family Kerr of Ferniehurst, who have held many important political posts over the years; Lord Lothian was Ambassador to Washington during the war years.

Another detour to the edge of the English Border takes us to the twin villages of Kirk Yetholm and Town Yetholm; divided by the Bowmont Water. The original village was Kirk Yetholm which became a centre for Gypsies, and the other village grew as a result. The tribe of Faas; the gypsy kings and queens who were greatly feared at the time, have all died out now.
One was Jean Gordon Faa, her three sons were hanged for sheep stealing, her husband transported and another son murdered. She met her own death after a severe dunking by a mob in Carlisle, some 250 years ago..
As far back as 1540 a writ from King James 5th refers to a Johnnie Faa, Lord and Earl of little Egypt.
The village is also the end of the Pennine Way a route used by the gypsies of old.
Many nobles that fell at Flodden are said to have been buried in the Kirkyard.

A warm & friendly welcome awaits you at The Caddy Mann Restaurant - the perfect place to meet up with friends, enjoy a relaxing lunch, a luxurious evening meal or just while away the time over a cup of coffee, a glass of wine and a tempting selection of our delicious home baking.
The wide and varied menus change daily to utilise the freshest and very best of the natural ingredients found in the Scottish Borders.
A family owned and run restaurant with Ross heading up the kitchen team, and Lynne keeping everyone happy out front. Over his career, Ross has worked in some of the countries best known restaurants, including five years at the World Famous Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire before heading to the Borders to work at the Duke of Roxburgh's hotel near Kelso.
Awarded Best Lunch, Best Evening Meal, Best Service and Local Produce Champion in the VisitScotland awards for over ten consecutive years, as well as the "Consistence of Excellence" award. It is also listed in The Good Food Guide and featured in the Scottish Field Magazine as Editor's choice for one of Scotland's "Best Restaurant Worth travelling for".

www.caddymann.com

The Scottish Borders is a haven for craftspeople and artists.
The award winning gallery at Harestanes Visitor Centre is a must see, must have, experience for quality Scottish craft products.
The refurbished showroom space is home to over 100 locally based artist makers working in wood, glass, metal, ceramic, and textile.
There has never been a more important time to support local businesses and talent and the gallery space is the perfect place to see the broadest range of work in Scotland. The quality and design of work is unique.
The famous Teviot and Reiver chair ranges with bespoke tables in local hardwoods are made by our resident craftsmen to commission.
They are on hand to discuss any bespoke and one off designs you have in mind.
The owner, Eoin Cox has maintained the concept and practice of creating highly visible opportunities for the public to meet Scottish based craftspeople for over twenty years. Buy Design Gallery is the focus for much of this approach in helping new and more established artists, makers and designers reach contemporary markets.
Buy Design Gallery is open all year round every day.

www.buydesigngallery.com

Real Wood Studios is a collectively owned workshop, showroom, sawmill and timber merchant, specialising in the creative use of locally sourced native hardwoods in the Scottish Borders.
Since 1996 they have been designing and making contemporary bespoke wooden furniture for your home, garden or place of work. Working individually or collectively the designer-makers produce a wide range of pieces - including dining tables, chairs, fireplace mantels, cabinets and coffee tables. Larger projects are also undertaken including Bespoke Wood Kitchens, Reception Desks, Stairs and Internal Joinery Projects.
They process and sell locally sourced Scottish hardwoods, including Oak, Ash, Elm, Beech, Birch, Sycamore and Yew, all sustainably sourced from the local area. Other species and select softwoods are available to order including Holly, Hornbeam, Larch and Douglas Fir.
They also produce a range of Hardwood Flooring, Architectural Mouldings and Exterior Cladding.
The Woodmizer LT40 Mobile Sawmill is available to hire on or off site at hourly or day hire rates and can also machine timber to order.
Real Wood Studios grew out of Woodschool, which was established in 1996. Now being run by its members as a non-profit distributing enterprise, Real Wood Studios is collectively owned and run by craftspeople for craftspeople.

www.realwoodstudios.com


Jedburgh

Jedburgh Abbey was founded by David 1st as was Holyrood. Jedburgh is the most complete of the Border Abbeys and has some rare architectural features in common with Romsey Abbey, far away in the south of England, where David’s sister had stayed and his Aunt Christina had been a nun.
King Malcolm the forth died at the Abbey in 1195 and ninety years later King
Alexander the third married his second wife Yolande here; after the death of his first and all their children; it is said a ghostly spectre in the form of a skeleton danced in front of the King and his guests, warning the Monarch of his imminent death. He died five months later falling off his horse at Kinghorn an event that threw the country into years of turmoil and uncertainty;


Mary Queen of Scots visited the town in 1566 and took ill after a long return ride in bad weather to Hermitage castle to see a wounded Bothwell; they both recovered and left together. The house she lodged in is now a National Trust property and was built for the Kerrs of Ferniehurst and the stairs like nearby Ferniehurst castle curve the opposite way to enable a left-handed swordsman to defend it, as the Kerrs had a pronounced tendency for being left handed.
‘Jeddart Justice’, hang first and try later was commonly used in the King’s name to help keep the Borders in check, Jedburgh was always a judicial centre, Sir Walter Scott made his first appearance as a defense counsel in 1793; - to this day the court remains busy, some things it seems never change.
The poet James Thomson was born near here in 1700. He is credited with ‘Rule Britannia’.


Newcastleton

Newcastleton is a planned village built in 1793 by the third Duke of Buccleuch as a hand weaving settlement.
It has a real frontier feeling to it; being the last settlement in Scotland, with the border only a few miles to the South.
The Forestry Commission first started operations in this area, as such the mature forestry offers many recreational opportunities.

The Liddlesdale Hotel is located in Douglas Square.
The Three Star hotel offers excellent food and drink and is a popular meeting and eating place with the locals.
This is one the last hotels in Scotland and offers well appointed en-suite accommodation, along with Wi-Fi, sky TV and a friendly welcoming atmosphere .

www.liddesdalehotel.co.uk